[Chicago-talk] Dynamic method call

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Thu Nov 6 20:30:20 CST 2003

>> Note to Steven: "Prototypes are a BAD idea".

Scott>    I seen this before(I think there is a node on perlmonks),
Scott>    but I'll ask, Why are Prototypes bad?

Larry invented them only to tweak the parser so that user-defined
subroutines could be parsed the same way that the odd built-ins were
also parsed (except for print, grep, map, and a few others I can't
recall).

The problem is that there was *just* enough stuff that people thought
they should be used even for things that aren't trying to emulate
built-in syntax.

That's the problem.

Do not use them unless you are trying to emulate a built-in.