[Canberra-pm] Still podding around

Stephen Steneker stephen at sydney.pm.org
Wed Aug 6 03:04:43 PDT 2008

>> I was expecting ./podme --help to produce the "SYNOPSIS" section,
>> along with any section entitled "OPTIONS", "ARGUMENTS", or "OPTIONS
>> AND ARGUMENTS", as per the Pod::Usage manual page. Instead it
>> produces nothing

Hi Paul,

For `./podme --help` I get:

Usage:
     program ( --help | -- manual )

     --help
         Print a brief help message and exits.

     --manual
         Prints the manual page and exits.

> OS at home is OpenSuSE 10.3, perl is 5.8.8, Pod::Usage is 1.33.

Out of curiousity tried on a few machines and and results
were consistently OK for:

    OS X, perl 5.8.8, Getopt::Long 2.35, Pod::Usage 1.33
    FreeBSD, perl 5.8.8, Getopt::Long 2.34, Pod::Usage 1.33
    Ubuntu, perl 5.8.8, Getopt::Long 2.35, Pod::Usage 1.33

> Don't have the details of what is at work.

You may also want to try changing your shebang from hardcoded path:
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

to using the default perl in your env (i.e. the equivalent of `which
perl`):
    #!/usr/bin/env perl -w

It's possible that your default perl doesn't live in /usr/bin on the
work
machine, so that might be executing an older version of perl or a
wrapper for the Real perl (which could explain the command line
args being impolitely eaten by a grue).

Hope that helps .. do share the details if you figure out what the
problem with the work environment is ;-).

Cheers,
Stephen