[boulder.pm] web-based mail reader

Walter Pienciak walter at frii.com
Fri Oct 26 14:17:47 CDT 2001

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, rise wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Walter Pienciak wrote:
>
> > - POP and/or IMAP are nice, but it has to be able to read the
> >   >>>>>local Unix mail files<<<<<
>
> So the standard "talk to a local-only IMAP daemon" isn't workable?  Any
> particular reason why (other than that it adds another layer of
> complexity)?

Another daemon running, serving (heh heh) no particular purpose.
If I have to, I'll install IMAP, but I figured there ought to be a few
programs out there that work with the native services.  Haven't found
one yet . . .  Want to recommend a decent IMAP server?

> > - Perl.  (Well, not really required, but adding this is the best
> >   way to make the post arguably on-topic.  ;^)
>
> I'd have thought the almost inevitable mail-box locking schemes Holy War
> would have done that.  If you can't find fruitful ground for obscure and
> crufty Perl snippets in that we might as well all go home.
>
> > I'd run this through SSL.  On Unix.  With Apache.  mod_perl.  mod_php.
>
> Okay.  I've just got to ask - why both mod_perl & mod_php?

mod_perl because it rules.

mod_php because I needed to develop a cheesy application for work
  (goofy web polls a la slashdot) and there were a number of PHP-based
  packages available that were good enough.  So I recompiled with
  mod_php and said "Done!"

Walter