[Belfast-pm] [ANNOUNCE] Birmingham Technical Meeting - Wednesday 25th May 2005

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Wed May 18 09:30:13 PDT 2005

Event:   Technical Meeting
Date:    Wednesday 25th May 2005
Times:   see below
Venue:   O'Neills, 90 Hurst Street, The Arcadian Centre, Birmingham
Details: http://birmingham.pm.org/docs/technical-next.html

This month we have the pleasure of inviting several eminent members of
Belfast.pm over for our technical meeting. Marty Pauley and Marc Kerr
have kindly offered to provide us with 3 talks between them too. Other
speakers will include Jon Brookes, Brian McCauley & Steve Pitchford.

A break from our previous venue, future technical meetings are to be
held at O'Neills on Hurst Street, by The Arcadian Centre. We will be
in the main function room ("the band room" if you've ever been at the
weekend).

As always entry is free, and whatever your knowledge of Perl, we'd be
delighted to have you along.

Food:

Food is available until 8pm, though we are aiming to have food
pre-ordered, so that we can eat before the talks. A menu is available
at http://birmingham.pm.org/docs/technical/01216664952.tif . If you
would like to order food, please let me know by lunchtime on Tuesday
24th May. Most of us normally get there from 6pm onwards, but if you
want to eat earlier please let me know.

Times:

Times for the evening we are aiming for are:

* food available: 6.00-7.30pm
* talks: 7.30-9.30pm
* pub closes: 11pm

Talks:

* GNU Guerrilla [Marty Pauley]
* Perl6/PUGS/Haskell [Marty Pauley]
* TBA [Marc Kerr]
* Perlish Pattern Matching (Part 2) [Jon Brookes]
* TBA [Brian McCauley]
* TBA [Steve Pitchford]

Wireless:

For those interested enough, there is wireless network available at the
venue. However, this is provided by The Cloud, who don't come cheap.
£4.50 / 1 hour.

http://www.thecloud.net/mycloud/

Venue:

O'Neills, The Arcadian Centre, 90 Hurst Street, Birmingham, West
Midlands, B5 4DT
- http://www.pubs247.co.uk/pubPages/pub.asp?id=46670
- http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=407133&y=286252&z=1&sv=407250,286250&st=4&ar=Y

By Train:

Arrive at New Street station. Exit the turnstiles, and head out of the
doors on your right (to the right of the escalators). Head out of the
car park area towards the New Bullring. Before reaching the shopping
arcade, head right down Queensway, towards the traffic lights at the
crossroads at the bottom of the short hill. Turn left and cross over
the traffic lights towards the Chinese Quarter (underneath the
archway with offices on the top). Head straight towards the bar called
52 degrees (insert the o symbol here), crossing the road. carry on
straight, past the Hippodrome on your right, towards The Old Fox on
the corner. Walk past The Old Fox, and the crew entrance to The Glee
Club, to the main entrance of O'Neills. Order a Guinness :)

By Car:

If travelling from the South West, via the M5, turn off the M5 at
Junction 4, and follow the A38 all the way to Birmingham City Centre.
When you reach Bristol Road/Middleway (McDonalds drive-in on your left
and a row of billboards on your right, on a 3 lane carriageway). Go
straight on at the lights, and talk the left fork, before going
through the underpass. Here you will come to a roundabout with a
Pagoda in the centre. Go right round the roundabout, as if you are
about to go back onto the Bristol Road out of Birmingham. Take the
second left hand side street (Essex Street), and take the next left
(Hurst Street) along side the rear of the Hippodrome. For parking
see below.

If travelling from the North, or from the South East, via the M6,
turn off the M6 at Junction 6 (Spaghetti Junction), and follow the
A38(M) Aston Expressway into Birmingham City Centre. Stay on the A38
as you go OVER the flyover, UNDER the underpass and THROUGH the
tunnel. On exiting the tunnel, bear left onto the slip road, up onto
the roundabout with the Pagoda in the centre. Head straight across the
roundabout, and take the second left hand side street (Essex Street).
Take the next left (Hurst Street) along side the rear of the
Hippodrome. For parking see below.

If travelling from the South, via the M40, from M40 join the M42 and
then take either the A34 or the A45 in the direction of Birmingham.
These will both eventually bring you on to the A41 (Digbeth High
Street/Deritend). As you enter the City Centre you will pass the
Irish Community Centre on your left-hand side and the next turning on
the left, just before Birmingham Coach Station, should be Rea Street.
Turn left here, and at the first junction with Bradford Street turn
right. Take the next left onto Sherlock Street, and follow the road
round until you reach the mini roundabout. Take the first exit, and
turn left at the first set of traffic lights on to Hurst Street. At
the next set of traffic lights, Bromsgrove Street crosses Hurst
Street. Although you cannot go straight on, the venue is about 50
yards further up Hurst Street on the right. For parking see below.

Parking:

Limited on street parking is available on Hurst Street and Bromsgrove
Street (at the traffic lights on Hurst Street). On street parking is
free after 6pm. The Arcadian car park entrance is on Bromsgrove
Street, although charges are quite expensive.

If you get stuck or lost, please call me on 0771 401 6184 for
directions.

Hope to see you all there.

Barbie.
--