A bizarre but plausible idea for a sponsor

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 17:01:04 CDT 2003

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 06:03:23PM +0100, Nick Johnston wrote:
> If we're talking about the O'Briens sandwich chain, then surely a better
> choice would be a local Subway franchisee? Subway 'outlets' (I can't
> bring myself to call them restaurants!) are very wide spread, hence (in
> theory) Subway could benefit by sponsoring YAPC as people would then
> spend lots of money in Subway outlets in their home country when they
> get back. Also I think Subway's range would appeal more to people, well,
> certainly to me! Perhaps someone (*cough* Karen *cough*) could contact
> Subway's new European headquarters in Amsterdam for advice?
>
> >Johnson Brothers are a local coffee company (based in Lisburn). The
> >people behind WKD & Caledonian Clear are also local. I've no idea if
> >they would have any interest in sponsoring a programming event 'though.
> >
> The local Coca Cola bottlers would also be a possibility as they are
> trying to plug their "BPM" energy drink big time, and a few cases of the
> RiverRock water wouldn't go amiss either.

All things being equal, I'd rather see local sponsors than the same old
crap I can get in the States.

FWIW, a good sponsorship pitch to a local company is "INTERNATIONAL
RECOGNITION!".  300-400 net savvy folks from around the world who love to
voice their opinions about anything and everything will be coming to
Belfast and drinking *your* coffee.  You can't pitch it that way to Coke.

This is not to say to turn Coke down, but if for some reason you're
deluged with sponsors, I'd prefer the locals.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern at pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
WOOHOO!  I'm going to Disneyland!