A bizarre but plausible idea for a sponsor

Nick Johnston sky at erupt.com
Wed Aug 27 12:03:23 CDT 2003

Duggie wrote:

>On (27/08/03 14:01), Marty Pauley wrote:
>

>>On Fri Aug 22 23:50:09 2003, Patrick Moore wrote:
>>

>>>In so far as the hot drinks go, you may be able to talk to the likes of
>>>Clements about such a thing?
>>>

>>We're thinking of someone like Clements, but not Clements.
>>

>The O'briens chain might do it, I've seen them at a couple of music
>festivals this year so I know they do some hospitality events.

If we're talking about the O'Briens sandwich chain, then surely a better
choice would be a local Subway franchisee? Subway 'outlets' (I can't
bring myself to call them restaurants!) are very wide spread, hence (in
theory) Subway could benefit by sponsoring YAPC as people would then
spend lots of money in Subway outlets in their home country when they
get back. Also I think Subway's range would appeal more to people, well,
certainly to me! Perhaps someone (*cough* Karen *cough*) could contact
Subway's new European headquarters in Amsterdam for advice?

>Johnson Brothers are a local coffee company (based in Lisburn). The
>people behind WKD & Caledonian Clear are also local. I've no idea if
>they would have any interest in sponsoring a programming event 'though.

The local Coca Cola bottlers would also be a possibility as they are
trying to plug their "BPM" energy drink big time, and a few cases of the
RiverRock water wouldn't go amiss either.

- Nick