sql/perl/dbi reference?

Andrew Gallagher ab.gallagher at qub.ac.uk
Tue Aug 13 06:41:55 CDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:44:15PM -0700, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> Repeat this mantra:
>
>        I hate SQL.
>
> that should cover the details of Class::DBI. :)

I probably will end up using Class::DBI. But since I am also going to be
admining the database server I'd like to be a little more au fait with
the back end...

> Good PostgreSQL book... O'Reilly just published one, I have a copy but
> haven't read it yet.  I believe New Riders has one and they usually publish
> decent stuff.

Is this 'practical postgresql'? The reviews for it on Amazon are
mixed...

> Good SQL book... the best SQL reference I've found so far is the MySQL
> documentation.  That plus a decent SQL92 reference (so you know what's
> 'standard' and what's MySQL) should do you.  I don't know of any good SQL
> tutorials anymore.  "Database Design For Mere Mortals" is a not-horrible
> introduction to table design, but includes not enough theory.  Or too much
> theory.

The reviews seem good of this one... I know it's a lot cheaper (and
environmentally friendly) to read online docs, but I still have a
visceral attraction to dead tree. ;-)

--
| Andrew Gallagher <andrewg at andrewg.com>       | web.andrewg.com |
| Computer Support Asst., Dept. of Applied Maths and Theoretical |