Tonights meeting [0]

Tony Bowden tony at kasei.com
Wed Oct 3 14:31:23 CDT 2001

On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:21:05PM +0100, Stray Toaster wrote:
> I am sitting her with books open wondering if I should learn *stuff*
> instead of just looking it up when I need it. (FYI I treat SQL, HTML et
> al in exactly the same way. I don't need to *know* it, as I can look up
> the syntax if needs be. Anyway, enough of my philosophy.)

Ah ... the trick isn't in knowing syntax. It's in knowing that something
exists.

So that, for example last night, you could say, "I know there's a command
line switch to do this, must look that up", rather than "What's the syntax
of Getopts::Long?".

Once you know what tools can be at your disposal, then worry about gradually
mastering them ;)

Tony