[Banking-pm] What does your development environment look like?

Nik Clayton nik at ngo.org.uk
Wed Feb 7 11:21:34 PST 2007

Hi all,

An impromptu survey, if that's alright with everyone.

It's no exaggeration to say that in my current role (and one of the reasons
for leaving my current role) the Perl development environment consists of
Putty, a copy of vi(1), and a development server located on another continent.

Now I know there are those that will immediately launch in to a 3 Yorkshire
man sketch ("vi?  We had to dig the bits by hand out of the local coal
mine") at this, but I'd be interested to find out:

a) What your uncustomised development environment looks like (i.e., you sit
down on day 1, what does/did the company provide as a default?)

b) What sort of freedom/latitude you had to install your own tools (Emacs?
Eclipse?  Particular debuggers?  Other tools?)

Cheers,