APM: Possible New Austin.pm Software Projects

Reini Urban reini at cpanel.net
Thu Jun 12 07:46:40 PDT 2014

On 06/12/2014 02:33 AM, William N. Braswell, Jr. wrote:
> MONGERS, PLEASE READ MR. DOUGHERTY'S LETTER BELOW AND PROVIDE FEEDBACK!
>
> Things I personally think are attractive about this FRDCSA project:
>
> - Clear Initial Win By Releasing Pre-Existing Software To CPAN
> - Artificial Intelligence Is Cool
> - Integrates With New Austin.pm Catalyst Website
> - Existing Maintainer To Lead The Project
> - Potentially High-Value & High-Visibility
> - Broad Enough To Have Something For Everyone

I and most other p5p folks don't really trust this guy.

He applied for a tpf grant last year and it was denied.
Nobody expects anybody to ask for money to publish his
perl modules to CPAN.

* http://news.perlfoundation.org/2010/08/2010q3-grant-proposal-frdcsa-i.html

*
http://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/06/13/154226/learn-about-the-frdcsa-weak-ai-project-video

And the quality of the code was horrible compared to similar AI
projects. So I doubt the potential High-Value & High-Visibility.

Wasn't he in Austin at the last YAPC?
I do think so.

But I don't want to curb your enthusiasm if you like to work on it.
AI *is* cool.
And nobody trusted Will neither, until he came up with a successful
project on his own. So if you like it, go for it.

> [...]
>> to do much actual help to date).
>>
>>http://www.frdcsa.org
>>
>> ---- "William N. Braswell wrote:
>>> Howdy Mongers,
>>> We had a very productive meeting tonight, thanks to Joe Axford
>>> stepping forth as our new Catalyst website re-design team leader, to
>>> be assisted by a number of us helpful Austin Perl Mongers.  We will
>>> use (of course) Linux / Perl on the back-end, Catalyst /
>>> Template::Toolkit as the middle-ware, and Foundation / JQuery /
>>> Javascript on the front-end, for a fully-featured modern and
>>> responsive website.  WOWZA!
>>> Our straw-man general plan is available on our handy-dandy Trello
>>> to-do list:
>>>https://trello.com/b/fyNhcgzd/austin-pm-website
>>> We have debated for months and tonight we finally voted upon an
>>> official Austin Perl Mongers mascot...
>>>
>>> THE BARTON SPRINGS SALAMANDER!
>>>
>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barton_Springs_salamander
>>> We want to anthropomorphize the animal like our sponsor HostGator's
>>> "Snappy the Gator" mascot.  We've had several possible ideas
>> including
>>> a hipster or hippie salamander, all the way through a "proper
>> british
>>> salamander with a top-hat, monocle, and cane with a big pearl on
>> top".
>>>  So we'll let the artists create some prototypes and see what we
>> come
>>> up with?  "Sir Barton P. MacSalamander the Third, Of Austin Springs,
>>> at your service my good lady"
>>> We also got some radical new Perl t-shirts thanks to HostGator and
>> our
>>> main man X!  Hey X, can you please send out some photos of the new
>>> shirts?
>>> AAAAAND last but not least, we've decided to debate and eventually
>>> choose an official Austin.pm FLAGSHIP SOFTWARE PROJECT to be hosted
>> on
>>> CPAN.  We have no idea what this might be, and we're pretty much
>> open
>>> to anything that will have a real positive impact on the Perl
>>> community.  It could be an important upgrade to an existing CPAN
>>> distribution, or it could be a totally new CPAN project that we come
>>> up with from scratch.  Let's all pitch in and make a difference,
>> let's
>>> put Austin.pm on the maps!
>>> So, who has ideas for projects, website, graphics, etc?
>>> Perling,~ Will the Chill, Austin.pm Prez
>>>
>>> William Norman Braswell, Jr.
>>>  CEO & President; Auto-Parallel Technologies, Inc.
>>>  william.braswell at autoparallel.com
>>>  512.563.7984
>>>  This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)
>>> and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any
>>> unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.  If you are not the
>>> intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and
>>> destroy all copies of the original message.  Thank you.

[Disclaimer: The views expressed in this letter are my own, and do not
represent those of my employer.]
--
Reini

Working towards a true Modern Perl.
Slim, functional, unbloated, compile-time optimizable