APM: Activity?

Jack Lupton jacklupton at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 12:24:29 PDT 2012

Hi Gary,

I used to love the Perl monger meetings here in Austin. There were
always very interesting presentations and discussions. Unfortunately
there were a couple of scheduled meetings where no one else showed up.
It was at a time when it was very difficult for me to make the time to
attend. I lost interest. It seems like most of the people I knew who
were interested in Perl either left the area or became more interested
in Ruby. I've been learning Ruby. The problem I'm having is with
versions and gems versions. RVM looks easy on the surface, but then
everything seems to break - especially on deployment. I don't ever
remember having that problem with Perl.

Want to see a well run user group? Go to the Austin PHP meetup. I'm
not a fan of PHP, but those guys run great meetings. The presentations
are excellent. One of the groups leaders, Logan Lindquist, takes
videos of all the presentations and makes them available online. There
are raffles, prizes and beverage subgroup meetings!

It would be great to once again have Perl monger meetings. Count me in
and let me know if there is anything I can do to assist.

Jack Lupton