APM: Tonights Meeting...

jameschoate at austin.rr.com jameschoate at austin.rr.com
Tue Jun 9 22:49:32 PDT 2009

Hi,

Spoke w/ Colin at Mangia yesterday after work and we are
good to go for the reservation.

I'd also like to ask the group what they think of "Hack
Spaces" and why you would or wouldn't find them usefull.

Where I'm coming from is using a hack space to migrate
into a hands-on science & technology center. Back in the
80's I worked with several people from UT operating a
hands on museum here in Austin called Discovery Hall. I'm
looking at two additional aspects in that it will be
multi city (Cheyenne, WY will be site #2) and it will
focus on shopping the tech hack efforts to other hack
spaces and science museums. I have contact info for about
80 sci-tech museums in the US and nearly 200 across the
globe.

I'm looking to open the doors on the Austin site by the
end of the year, and Cheyenne by the end of 2010. It will
be called "Confusion Research Center" which was the old
BBS name at Discovery Hall.

In case you're not familiar with some of the efforts going
on around the globe I'll add some reference links. There
are over 100 active hack spaces around the world right now.

The primary effort tracking site...

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces

The one in France...

http://www.tmplab.org/

A couple of Wired articles...

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2007/08/us-hackers-moun/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/03/hackerspaces/

NYC Resistor...

http://www.nycresistor.com/

Noisebridge... (I really like the range of efforts)

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge

Tokyo Hackerspace...

http://www.tokyohackerspace.com/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page

Leonardo's Basement...