APM: Method to Read zip files?

Bion Pohl bpohl at bpohl.com
Fri Jun 15 22:36:56 PDT 2007

I had to do something like this for some automation I was doing for a
job.  We were receiving JPG pictures that were zipped together by
day, and then those zips were zipped together by week.  There wasn't
enough space on the machine to unzip everything so I wrote a module
using Archive::Zip to list the contents of a zip and then be able to
pull files from it one at a time.  The biggest drawback was the speed
because to pull a file from the middle or end it had to traverse the
whole file to find what it was looking for.

I had to leave the module with the company I wrote it for.  If you
aren't after speed you should be able to get what you want out of
Archive::Zip.

-Bion

>Message: 1
>Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 11:02:23 -0500
>From: David Bluestein II <dbii at interaction.net>
>Subject: APM: Method to Read zip files?
>To: Austin Perl Mongers <austin at pm.org>
>
>I have a pile of zipped files I need to parse on windows machine.
>Probably 100 files total. I saw there is an Archive::Zip I could
>probably use to unzip into memory, as I don't want to have to unzip
>into the file system, but has anyone used something like that?
>Basically a way to look into a zip file, find the constituent files,
>then parse them?
>
>Thanks-
>
>David

>David H. Bluestein II
>President & Lead Developer         dbii at interaction.net
>ii, inc.
>http://www.interaction.net
>      -- Specializing in Interactive, Database Driven Web Applications --

    /    ________    |   Bion Pohl
   / /| |       /    |	Relational Consulting
  / /_|_|______/  /| |	bpohl at bpohl.com