APM: Selfish topic suggestion

Jeremy Fluhmann jeremy at msc.tamu.edu
Thu Sep 7 14:34:57 PDT 2006

On Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:05 AM, Ian Remmler wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:11:08AM -0500, Ian Remmler wrote:
> > user, no database, nothing fancy.  I don't know what all it will
> > do, but one example is transferring files to the client and
> > managing/deleting files on the server.  I really don't know what
>
> OK, to clarify a bit:  The above is basically all it will do;
> it's more of a "web util" than a web app.  But we need a way to
> select a bunch of files/directories, then send them to the
> client in one shot somehow (i.e. not click each file, then click
> "save to disk").  I don't think we want to bundle it into a
> zip/tar file.
>
> Is something like this possible with javascript?  Otherwise I'm
> afraid we'll have to do something nasty...

I see it being something nasty.  If it's only for the local network,
would a script on the server sending/pushing the files to the client be
feasible?  This may raise everyone's security flags, but what if the
script on the server ran as a privileged user, or what if each client
using the 'tool' had a folder accessible by a user account setup on the
server for this specific utility?
Something like:
  the user selects the file(s) and submits a form
  the form calls the 'admin' script that pushes the files to the client

I'm probably way off, but that's what came to my mind.

Jeremy