APM: installing modules on a virtual server

Sam Foster austin.pm at sam-i-am.com
Tue Sep 28 11:00:23 CDT 2004

Got a problem getting some modules onto a virtual server - this is a
client's basic shared hosting package.

I have ssh access.
I can run perl -MCPAN -e shell;
   During the config setup, I'm adding PREFIX=~/perl5lib
I can install stuff there just fine, but a lot of the modules obviously
have dependancies.. and as ~/perl5lib isn't in @INC, I cant complete the
tests or installation of the modules I need.

Just for kicks I tried adding BEGIN { unshift @INC, '~/perl5lib' } to
the top of the .cpan/CPAN/MyConfig.pm .. but I guess that falls out of
scope by the time it comes to running the make tests

Apparently I should be able to do:
% setenv PERL5LIB ~/perl5lib
but setenv is also apparently not available.

I'm putting in a tech support call on this... any thoughts or alternatives?
It seems like when I run perl -MCPAN -e shell, I should be able to add
the directory to @INC at that point.. But i'm not clear - looking at the
perldocs - how I would do that.

TIA
Sam