problem with opening up huge sized file

Michael Fowler michael at shoebox.net
Mon Jan 22 14:28:42 CST 2001

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 12:01:19PM -0800, Rick J wrote:
> Because of that, I guess at least perl's trying to
> open up the file with open sub, and set the filehandle
> position at first line? That's why at first I thought
> perl tried to read in all the contents of that giant
> file.

No, some system call somewhere is failing with EOVERFLOW.  As I said, this
is probably due to lack of large file support; the system call being used
cannot handle such a large file.

Once again, the issue is not a bug in perl, it's due to perl not being
compiled with large file support.

Perl itself does not do any seeking on a file when you open it; where the
file position starts depends on your open mode, and that behaviour is
implemented by your OS.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net