problem with opening up huge sized file

Michael Fowler michael at shoebox.net
Mon Jan 22 13:09:02 CST 2001

On Mon, Jan 22, 2001 at 09:49:24AM -0800, Rick J wrote:
> open (F, "file_path") or die "$!;
> while (<F>){
>   do something; #like print;
> }
>
> The error is:
> Can't open the file
> Value too large for defined data type at test.pl line
> 3.

Your code and your error don't match.  Does test.pl look more like this?
(The numbers to the left are line numbers.)

1:  #!/usr/bin/perl
2:
3:  open (F, "file_path") or die("Can't open the file\n$!")
4:  while (<F>){
5:      do something;
6:  }

> Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 4 subversion 4)
> configuration:

It would appear your problem lies in the lack of large file support.  I'm
not even sure perl 5.00404 has large file support.  If you can, convince
your administrator to upgrade Perl to 5.00503 or 5.6.0, and compile in large
file support while he or she is at it.

Michael
--
Administrator                      www.shoebox.net