[ABE.pm] Alternate Perl Installs and/or how to deal with indolence

Ted Fiedler fiedlert at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:31:45 PDT 2007

Just curious how others either deal or don't deal w/ this situation. At $job
we run Suse 9.3 on a server - I can't just upgrade the OS w/o an act of God.
Perl is version 5.8.3 Id like to be at current, and later 5.10 when it
arrives. I rely heavily on Perl for most of what I do on this system. And
Perl 5.8.3 is just old.

Now when running Releases such as or RedHat or whatever where Perl is
installed via a packaging system, as most probably realize ( and lucky if
you don't )  you cant just remove the Perl package because there are
1.2Giga-cruft packages that have Perl as a dependency. You would end
up
removing  some  unjustifiable portions of your system.

What I have done in the past has been to install Perl into say /opt or
/usr/local. I guess this is acceptable, BUT now after I test each program
with

#!/opt/Perl/bin/perl

I need to maintain this alternate structure and make sure everyone else does
as well. Im lazy.

Is this the norm? A norm? ( Not the laziness, but the alternate Perl
install... )

Also - when I run /opt/Perl/bin/perl -MCPAN -eshell will modules be
installed in the correct locations? Easy enough to test myself, but laziness
pervades and I must ask before trying :)

Ted

--
"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in. No
one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow. They