[ABE.pm] I'm a Mac user!

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Thu Aug 17 19:40:24 PDT 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 10:30:39PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> * Walt Mankowski <waltman at pobox.com> [2006-08-17T22:11:25]
> > On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 09:43:56PM -0400, Ricardo SIGNES wrote:
> > > Some people like Fink or DarwinPorts, which are apt-like.  I use neither.
> >
> > Wow, you don't use either?  There were a bunch of missing utilities I
> > just couldn't do without, like subversion, GNU's ls, and an emacs that
> > runs in an X window.  What do you do about things like that?  Do you
> > install things from source?
>
> GNU ls is in GNU coreutils, which I compile.  I don't use emacs.  Subversion
> comes with SVK, which is available as an Apple-style installer.
>
> I only compile-from-source GNU coreutils, wget, mutt, and perl.

I've also got a bunch of packages I've installed for various class
projects, such as ImageMagick, MPlayer, gnuplot, graphviz, gsl,
ghostscript, and tetex.  You install enough of these sorts of things,
it's nice to have a package manager to, er, manage them.  Also, using
Debian for a while gives the the feeling that you should never have to
compile anything from source. :)

Walt