[ABE.pm] recap

Ruth A. Kramer rhkramer at fast.net
Tue Apr 13 23:40:11 CDT 2004

Phil R Lawrence wrote:
> Not too much happened last night...  But the discussion was quite
> interesting for at least 50% of the attendees!  :-)

Thanks for the synopsis!  It's nice to know what was discussed and thus
what I might be interested in digging into (or coming to the next
meeting).

---<snipped, except for the things that sound particularly interesting
(to me)>---

>    - validation of data
>    - object oriented validation of data
>    - what can we validate anyway
>      - ref type
>      - number
>      - string
>      - isa
>      - blah, blah, etc.
>    - breakdown of the "tree" method of organization
>    - you've gotta make a web of related things
>    - commenting on things
>    - commenting on comments
>    - comments on things no longer existing due to version control
>    - searching through commented, web-organized, semantic data
>
> rjbs has a killer name for a pet project of his:  Acropolis.  Acropolis
> is a (proposed) system of books, articles, and comments that are
> revision controlled and all linked together.  I'm sure rjbs could give a
> better synopsis.

Who is rjbs, and where can I find out more?  I'd like to find a tool
that is a sort of combination of AskSam (free form database, Windows
only (but for several years now available as a "web server", but, IIRC,
no "explicit" revision control), a wiki (TWiki is my current favorite,
it can be used as a free form database, and does have revision control),
and a large text file with "custom" delimiters (actually, TWiki ML, but
much faster for data entry than calling up a web page over a dialup
line).

> Today I saw that Neal Stephenson has a wiki he calls "metaweb."  It just
> looks like a wiki to me...  Maybe someone else can see what
> differentiates it from other wikis.

After I finish my taxes, I'll try to take a look.

Randy Kramer