[za-pm] perl on server, where to install modules for local use

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Thu Jul 18 01:07:34 PDT 2013

Hi Ian,

On Thu, 18 Jul 2013 09:58:29 +0200
Anne Wainwright <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:

> Note: Beware! Default reply-to is to the list.
>

> Hi there,
>
> A simple question here - but then you know my knowledge is limited!
>
> I do my development work on my laptop, it has a local installation of
> perl.
>
> The current script that I am developing is to run on my (ubuntu) server
> from my home account. I will need to install several modules for this.
>
> Question. Do I use cpan as root  or can I just fire up $ cpan from my
> home account  and install them?

It depends on what you want to do. You can use something like local-lib
( https://metacpan.org/release/local-lib ) to install modules under your home
directory - only for your current user. If you use cpan as root, then it may
install files all over the filesystem, and thus - may pollute it. You can also
try to package these CPAN distributions as Ubuntu packages. See what I wrote
about all that here:

http://perl-begin.org/topics/cpan/

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish