[za-pm] question on 'use ' in principle

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sat Jan 29 07:56:03 PST 2011

Hello,

I sought deeper and found the answer to this today in the perl POD
Document perlmod. See below.

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 15:32:16 +0200
Anne Wainwright <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:

> Note: Beware! Default reply-to is to the list.
>

> Hello,
>
> (Edoardo, how are you doing with Mojolicious. I had a quick look at
> the site today only, but I could find nothing on Dancer).
>
> Is there anyone out there working throught the Diment & Trout
> DEFINITIVE GUIDE TO CATALYST book? My query comes from there but is a
> query in principle.
>
> If I have a working .pl file (LolCatalyst/Lite/Translator.pm) and can
> succesfully run tests on my app to date thus : $ prove -lv t/ ,
> then ...
>
> If I take a subroutine from the working .pl file and place it in
> another .pm file (LolCatalyst/Lite/Translator/LOLCAT.pm) in a lower
> level dedicated directory, and then add in to the initial .pl file a
> 'use' thus:
>
> use LolCatalyst::Lite::Translator::LOLCAT;
>
> should the tests still run. ie. should the use line refer the
> subroutine request to the original .pm file down to the new one if
> the sub is no longer in the original .pm file?

<quote perlmod>

For example, to start a traditional, non-OO module called Some::Module,
create a file called Some/Module.pm ........

...... any double colons in the module name, such as Some::Module, are
translated into your system's directory separator, usually "/".

<end quote perlmod>

thus the module Module.pm in the POD example is located in /Some

so my assumptions were correct,
so any error is not a matter of module name and placement
so I can stop wasting time and look elsewhere.

as they say, rtfm!

bestest
Anne