[za-pm] is Perl on the decline?

Francois Marais francois at busii.com
Thu Apr 8 06:38:56 PDT 2010

Another example: At a major SA financal institution we are working a M$
developer was given the task to clean name and address lists on a DB2
database. You know the thing: Address line1, line2,... with potentially
everything in each line. The task was to sort that as far as possible into
title, forenames, surname,...

Anyway, a month later he came back proudly wielding a 12page SQL script.
When asked how it worked he refused to explain, with a proud smile, saying
the logic was too impenetrable.

I heard about this, had a look around on CPAN, downloaded
Lingua::EN::NameParse, and after fiddling with the config file to introduce
local titles like Mnr/Mev/..., I was cleaning the DB2 data no problem.  And
I only had to write 10 lines of code, and importantly no parsing. And it
took me one hour. And the parsing criteria are in a config file for all to
see, easy to change.

>From every possible angle, except the original programmers twisted sense of
pride, the Perl solution was better.