[Za-pm] paths in @INC global special array

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Thu Oct 23 11:06:00 PDT 2008

Hi,

Any one at home?

I upgraded my entire system (a Debian upgrade) for various reasons and now my perl is broken. Specifically the path

/usr/lib/perl/5.8.4

is not in the perl @INC array

so things like Dynaloader.pm , POSIX.pm , Config.pm, and other stuff do not get found when needed.

Following some googled help I did as follows

# PERL5LIB=/usr/lib/perl/5.8.4
# export PERL5LIB

success! for instance, an item that did not previously execute, like the following, did in fact now execute.
# perldoc lib     .... now ran OK

Of course when I closed the terminal, and opened another the setting had evaporated.
So I now put this new environment variable into the .bashrc file.

# perl -V  --> now shows the new path in @INC

[I note that if I try to update perl online that the configuration fails precisely because IO/File.pm cannot be found in @INC ... and of course it is in /usr/lib/perl/5.8.4   . How this happened I cannot say. Probably something yours truly did.]

Could I cheat the array and put a link to /usr/lib/perl/5.8.4 in one of the @INC paths? like in

/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4       (which exists with some stuff in) OR in ...
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4	( which also exists with some other stuff in)

or just copy everything over into one of them even? haven't played with links or symlinks ever.

 LATER ...

failure :(  From my browser I am calling a cruddy.pl script in /var/www/cgi-bin . Despite $PERL5LIB the apache error.log reflects that Dynaloader.pm and other folowing modules are not found and lists the @INC paths which do _not_ include my new one - and that is where it is of course.

I don't want to have to put something like

use lib "/usr/lib/perl/5.8.4";

in every script or module I use. Is there any way around this or should I unistall perl and try a reinstall again?

thanks in advance for any light in the dark corners.
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(