[Za-pm] Getting DBD::mysql installed

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Oct 12 03:37:05 PDT 2008

Tielman, hi,

Thanks for your support. I had in error dropped off za-pm when I moved all my mailing lists from work to home, I thought we were chatting on the group and only a while back did I realise that I wasn't where I thought I was. I have corrected that and will continue on there.

I now have tables with data in both mySQL and SQLite format. lots of hours getting this correct with output from my own database and then into these two sql variants

The former because it is seemingly a big standard, and a version was already on my computer. The latter because I decided to experiment with Maypole.

I decided to try our Maypole because my aim is specifically at this intitial phase to build a browser interface to the database, I am not cranking up a whole website yet. Maypole looks like a precursor to Mason, and seems aimed at data display especially, even if currently it is not maintained up to date. The Maypole examples use SQLite.

However, before moving onto Maypole I thought I would try Cruddy which looks a quick and dirty application, My aim is to have as few problems at a time as possible. Cruddy uses mySQL and I wanted just to make a 'proof of concept' as it were, in other word to see some data in the browser in a minimal time, understand the basic idea of how it works. Cruddy promises minimal effort hence the attraction for a first try.

So I need to get DBD::mysql installed (well there was a whole tree of modules to install, each one depending on more, all done now) but here comes the problem. When running in the DBD-mysql directory

# perl Makefile.PL	# goes without a hitch
# make			# also no problem
# make test		# :(

It fails and I paste the main output here.

PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/00base....................String found where operator expected at t/00base.t line 20, near "BAIL_OUT "Unable to load DBI""
(Do you need to predeclare BAIL_OUT?)
String found where operator expected at t/00base.t line 21, near "BAIL_OUT "Unable to load DBD::mysql""
        (Do you need to predeclare BAIL_OUT?)
syntax error at t/00base.t line 20, near "BAIL_OUT "Unable to load DBI""
syntax error at t/00base.t line 21, near "BAIL_OUT "Unable to load DBD::mysql""
BEGIN not safe after errors--compilation aborted at t/00base.t line 22.
# Looks like your test died before it could output anything.

this is followed by a host of error output, mainly to do with not being able to connect to database.

I nominally got an install of DBD::mysql via cpan, but it ends up with Cruddy not running on accounts of cannot connect to database errors wo presume that in fact it also does notinstall correctly and that the above is the problem that is fouling further progress

Not said anywhere, but I installed all the perl modules as root which I assume should be correct.

Any ideas please?
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(