[Za-pm] Maintaining state

Mark Hewitt mh2 at isis.co.za
Thu Sep 11 03:56:30 CDT 2003

On 11 September, 2003 09:54, Werner Moller [SMTP:wernerm at ifusion.co.za]
wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I need to maintain state (cookies, variables, sticky widgets or something)
> on a website where users log in and need to retrieve their information.
> However, the html pages and forms have already been designed with
> DreamweaverMX which rules out dynamic page generation with CGI. How do I
go

I do believe its possible to set cookies using javascript, i.e. the client
side
code can check and valdiate cookies, but this is extremely unreliable and
insecure, as the client can view you code, figure out how your system work,
etc.

> about retrieving information and placing it on the fields in the html
pages
> after the user have logged in? I've completed the "Registration" scripts
> which place the information into a MySQL database.

Well, if you want to acess data on a server side database, you have to have
some
kind of server side code.

You basically must:
1. Show login form
2. Server side script validates information
3. If valid, server code sets cookie or starts session
4. Server side page genenrates a populate html page

> However, the html pages and forms have already been designed with
> DreamweaverMX which rules out

Not at all, I use MX templates designed by my clients alot (well, the HTML
layouts).

I'd recommend PHP/Smarty combination for this, I use this alot, it allows
you too keep your HTML layouts editable in dreamweaver (I beleive), as the
html layout is totally independant of your code.

Of course, use any tool you like, Perl with some templating system would
also do, though personally I find PHP better suited to this kind of work

HTH
Mark
Windows, Linux and Internet Development Consultant
Cell: +27 82 9655295
Email: corporate at scriptsmiths.com
Web: http://www.scriptsmiths.com
"DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and its attachments may contain information that is
confidential and that may be subject to legal privilege and copyright. If
you are not the intended recipient you may not peruse, use, disclose,
distribute, copy or retain this message. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail, facsimile or
telephone and return and thereafter destroy the original message.Please note
that e-mails are subject to viruses, data corruption, delay, interception
and unauthorised amendment, and that the sender does not accept liability
for any damages that may be incurred as a result of communication by e-mail.
No employee or intermediary is authorised to conclude a binding agreement on
behalf of the sender by e-mail without express written confirmation by a
duly authorised representative of the sender. By transmitting this e-mail
message over the Internet the sender does not intend to allow the contents
hereof to become part of the public domain, and the confidential nature of
the contents shall not be altered or diminished from by such transmission."