[Za-pm] Intro's

Nico Coetzee nico at itfirms.co.za
Fri May 16 15:19:47 CDT 2003

I had the pleasure of running the GIMP on KDE on the os/390 IBM Mainframe -
not a hell of a lot of operating systems that can do the same :)

BTW: Perl now runs natively on z/OS - that is the z800 and z900/z990
mainframes. I will start to play with z/OS on s390 sometime in June. IBM has
ported several Unix utitlities to z/OS, so I guess it's only a matter of time
before we start to see more Unix types operating in z-land as well.

The list of ported apps include - among others:

 * Bash
 * Apache
 * PHP
 * Perl
 * Python
 * OpenSSL
 * OpenSSH ( some issues with sftp remain )

Although MySQL and PostgreSQL does not run natively, DB2 does, and there are
Perl modules for that.

Damn Cool !

I have the following on my whichlist:

1) IBM must put a AGP slot on their mainframes
2) Given 1) above - I want one to play C&C Generals on it !

I recon that must be the ultimate rush... Then again, it's only a dream :(

Cheers