[Za-pm] woodworkers

Alastair Stuart al at quirk.co.za
Fri May 16 16:55:47 CDT 2003

Hi All

Great to see some the birth of an african pm list.  I read something on the
net comparing PM activity globally and the were some comments launched at the
cape-town (now defunct) PM list as the site was pointing to a "fruit market".

I am a Cape Town based perl developer.  I have been developing in Perl since
1999, and have not and probably will not ever use anything else. Other than
Perl, i run Gentoo linux 1.4rc4 - xfs-kernel-patch, on my servers, mysql as
my database, postfix
etc.

Am currently tieing up a a project that we've been working on for the last two
years.  It has been a huge learning curve, requiring monstrous amounts of
coding and refactoring, but I feel we're almost there.  It has been quite
really fun working in a quasi-XP (Extreme Programming) environment - the
system is based on the classic client/server axis, with a Java (IBM's Eclipse
Platform) client speaking to a mod_perl server in a little XML language that
we have developed called RMX. (Remote Mail Extensions).

Things i like about Perl:

 * Mason: not just good for HTML but also text, xml, and code templating .. ;)
 * Parse::RecDescent : some mind bending stuff ..
   ( damian can bend it more than beckham)
 * XML::SAX::Machines
 * all the other great modules ...

Great to finally learn that Perl is not completely extinct ..

Ciao
Al

--
Alastair Stuart