[Za-pm] Intros (Giancarlo Contrafatto)

Dr Giancarlo Contrafatto contrafa at biology.und.ac.za
Fri May 16 07:09:47 CDT 2003

Greetings to everyone;

I'm in Durban and waste my full-time, lecturing immunology, microbiology
and systematics at the University of Natal. Running my Apache web server
(as you see from the signature) under RH 8.0, running Red Hat at home
too and have been using Linux since the Red Hat 6.2 distro hit the
market. Also ran my server under Corel Linux for about a year.

Of course, I am not an experienced programmer at all but, as one might
expect, a self-taught perl beginner. In other words, I tend to write the
CGIs deployed on my server and other personal applications on my home
PC. I'm busy developing a web-based perl CGI/programme (for a half-baked
research group in my department) to store, search and retrieve
scientific journal references. I say busy developing, because I have
abandoned the effort, so long, due lack of interest on the part of my
colleagues (and lack of time), but I still have full intentions of
finishing the job.

Suggestions regarding meetings and AGM. Well, I'm not sure: it may work
up on the Reef, since I see that most subscribers, so far, are from
there. It may be difficult to get outlying members to travel, though.

Not much else to say, for now.

ciao

P.S.: Oh yes ... there is a disclaimer somewhere or other on the UND web
site, for those who have nothing better to do.

--
advertising may be described as the science of arresting the human
intelligence long enough to get money from it. Stephen Leacock