[Za-pm] Perl/Tk As Root

DIRK KONRAD dirkvanderwalt at webmail.co.za
Fri May 16 05:42:15 CDT 2003

OK,

So here's my FIRST stupid Question.

I've got this Perl/Tk script/app that does all sorts of magick. But I
first have to su to root and then run it as root from a shell.(It
manipulates some config files)

How can I go about doing it the way Mandrake does it, where if the
user clicks on the icon, it will pop-up a “root password” screen with
a message, and then, if successful, will run that script as root, but
still staying away from SUID.

If this app is to have mass appeal, this, for me is a must!

I Dont want to pop up a message telling the user “ Please open a
shell, SU to root and then type in “/opt/foo/bar.pl”

Much easier to tell them “password Please” <enter> and off you go.

Dirk