[Za-pm] UPDATE

Dallas G fuzzylogik at webmail.co.za
Mon Jun 2 14:17:27 CDT 2003

Thanks
will give it a try when the time arises

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nico Coetzee" <nico at itfirms.co.za>
To: "Dallas G" <fuzzylogik at webmail.co.za>; "Oskar Pearson"
<oskar at qualica.com>
Cc: <za-pm at mail.pm.org>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [Za-pm] UPDATE

On Monday 02 June 2003 10:43, Dallas G wrote:
> thanks
>
> I see there are hundreds of extra libs for perl, CPAN
> are they all optional?
> can you recomend which are good to have for generic web page/db
interaction

It depends really on what OS you are now - I assume as with Linux, most
other
Perl installs will include some fundamental basic modules like DBI (for
databases ) and CGI ( optional, but usefull ).

TIP: If I want to do something, I go to http://search.cpan.org/ and search
for
a keyword that summrises my problem - 9/10 times a module pop's up. I then
enter the command:

 $ perl -e 'use The::Module'

and then I see if I have it, and if it works. It will work if the command
returns no output and gives you a shell promt again.

Sample: I want to convert between various mathematical Units. In CPAN, I did
search for 'unit convert' (
http://search.cpan.org/search?m=all&q=unit+convert&s=11 ) and found a Module
called Math::Units (
http://search.cpan.org/author/KENFOX/Math-Units-1.2/Units.pm ) - and as you
can see, does basically what I want. the shell test:

<OUTPUT>
$ perl -e 'use Math::Units'
Can't locate Math/Units.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl .) at -e line 1.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.
</OUTPUT>

So, now I have to install it.

Cheers