[Za-pm] Micro-perl??

Nico Coetzee nico at itfirms.co.za
Wed Aug 20 13:38:33 CDT 2003

On Wednesday 20 August 2003 11:12, Chris Martinus wrote:
> I actually stumbled onto this list while I was searching to see if anyone
> had come up with a tiny perl cross-compiler/interpreter for use with modern
> microcontrollers.
>
> Most of the development work I do these days is on Atmel micros which can
> have quite substantial amounts of memory (still measured in kilobytes :-(
> ).  Development is usually done using GNU C.  Perl's string handling,
> regular expressions and references would be really cool to speed
> development of reliable code - but there is no way Perl 5 could be
> shoehorned into a microcontroller!
>
> I was toying with the idea of perhaps using P2C - or else embarking on a
> project to strip down Perl 4 and squeeze a small interpreter into a
> microcontroller.
>
> Does anyone know if this wheel has already been invented?

No idea, but it would also do wonders for my old 486's. The biggest one has 8
MB RAM, and the other one 4 MB. It really is a tight fit, but as small as
your env :)

In the mean time, check out:

<http://perlbin.sourceforge.net/>
<http://perlmonks.thepen.com/95246.html>

Cheers

--
Nico Coetzee

http://www.itfirms.co.za/
http://za.pm.org/
http://forums.databasejournal.com/

To the systems programmer, users and applications serve only to provide a
test load.