[Za-pm] Micro-perl??

Chris Martinus chris at autobleep.com
Wed Aug 20 04:12:39 CDT 2003

I actually stumbled onto this list while I was searching to see if anyone had come up with a tiny perl cross-compiler/interpreter for use with modern microcontrollers.

Most of the development work I do these days is on Atmel micros which can have quite substantial amounts of memory (still measured in kilobytes :-(  ).  Development is usually done using GNU C.  Perl's string handling, regular expressions and references would be really cool to speed development of reliable code - but there is no way Perl 5 could be shoehorned into a microcontroller!

I was toying with the idea of perhaps using P2C - or else embarking on a project to strip down Perl 4 and squeeze a small interpreter into a microcontroller.

Does anyone know if this wheel has already been invented?