Links to Slides

Reini Urban reini.urban at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 02:10:26 PDT 2018

> On Jun 22, 2018, at 2:21 AM, James E Keenan via yapc <yapc at pm.org> wrote:
>
> I you presented at TPC and would like to share either the slides or text of your presentation with the wider world, be sure to edit the wiki page:
>
> https://github.com/perlconference/tpc-2018-slc/wiki/Links-To-Slides

Hi James,
Great effort, but a bit ridiculous.

First you are complaining in http://thenceforward.net/perl/yapc/TPC-NA-2018/test-against-dev.pdf
that

> Lacking a temporal sense of the scope of any such breakage limits us in several ways:
> – It limits Perl 5 committers’ ability to anticipate CPAN "breakage”.
> – It limits Perl 5 Porters’ ability to hold committers accountable for CPAN “breakage"

It would be great if there would be any sort of accountability on any porter. That’s my complaint.
There’s none, and if you complain about constant breakage and inability and unwillingness to hold
them accountable or to fix the breakage they cause, there’s censorship.
You are silenced on trumped up charges.

Porters constantly break perl and cpan. BBC is a great effort, but accountability is more important. There’s none.
One of the worst offenders even is now getting paid to destroy the perl and cpan infrastructure and your jobs. Without any accountability or discussion.
That's why cperl has to exist. To remove the breakage the unaccountable porters cause.
It starts with the head who silences accountability. Please help perl porters getting accountable.

Second, you now increased the top 1000 to the top 3000 cpan coverage.
You should now that I’m testing against the top 3000 cpan modules for years already (since 5.21),
and my distroprefs patchset vastly outnumbered Andy König’s patchsets, who is usually doing the BBC.
An almost full CPAN test is also possible, with a coverage of about 20.000. I did that at cPanel and
Steffen Müller at Booking did that.

Currently I have 299 unfixed outstanding cpan patches (against about 2000 outstanding and unfixed perl5 patches).
There’s more accountability and willingness to fix things on CPAN than in p5p, but still the numbers are discouraging. And the ones who are not able or willing to maintain their CPAN modules are the ones who get promoted to destroy perl5 itself by getting commit bits. So far to accountability.

It’s a bit strange, isn't it?

Reini