YAPC::NA Schedule is available

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Tue Mar 31 19:59:25 PDT 2015

On 2015-03-31 7:28 PM, Michael McClennen via yapc wrote:
> Given the recent announcement that Perl 6 will be released by the end of the
> year, I am very surprised that the schedule includes only 3 talks listed under
> the Perl6 category.  (Plus, presumably, the Q&A with Larry on Tuesday.)
>
> I understand that the organizers have to work with the proposals that people
> send in, but is there something we as a community can do to improve this
> situation?  The thing I most want to get from YAPC this year is more information
> about Perl 6.

Personally, I'm not bothered by this.

Rather, I think the 2016 YAPC will or should be the big year for lots of Perl 6
talks, because at that point it should be officially in production.

People can take what they learn next year and treat it like they do Perl 5 talks
now, something they can apply immediately in production work rather than
something that they can do in production "later".

I like Perl 6 a lot, but really when it comes down to attracting a lot of people
to a talk, they're going to prefer ones they can apply right away in practice,
rather than just being an interest talk.

So next year we can see the same kinds of talks we do now for Perl 5, but they
happen to be in Perl 6 instead, more task focused or otherwise focused on some
aspect other than "this is Perl 6".

-- Darren Duncan