Austin AC avg thermostat settings?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 29 22:30:24 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 09:32:35PM -0700, Mike Covington wrote:
> Not sure what the typical A/C is like in Austin, but when
> I lived in Houston, I had to dress for Winter while at work
> and then I'd melt anytime I had to walk outside.

Given that it's a University environment, I suspect the
temperatures in buildings will be set for the mid-low 70s.
They'd want people (e.g. students) to be comfortable in
warmer clothing, without freezing out those who are wearing
shorts or lighter clothing in the Texas late-Spring.

Of course, if the University or building managers decide that's
the week to institute energy saving measures (as sometimes happened
at the University I worked at when classes weren't in session),
then it might be a bit on the warmer side inside.

Personally I plan to wear shorts most of the time I'm there.

> I don't recall how the humidity compares, but when I would
> walk outside I wouldn't be able to see for a few minutes
> due to fogged-up glasses.

I've never found Austin to be particularly humid, and certainly
not anything like Houston levels of humidity.  I tend to think of
Austin as more arid than humid, at least in the spring and summer
months.  Mornings can be a bit humid but they're cool (60s),
and the air dries out a fair bit as the day goes on.

Pm