RFC: YAPC Code of conduct up on github?

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Mon Mar 25 09:59:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Jason Van Patten wrote:

> I specifically left this as a non specific comment to engender discussion,
> conceptually it should be an award that taps into the viral nature of the
> PYCON incident and contrasts the company or companies that highlight how Perl
> programmers and their employers are not "tools". Moreover we should highlight
> that YAPC despite being oriented around an older language is far more
> progressive in it's paradigm.

I really don't think YAPC is more progressive than PyCon. PyCon has had
their CoC since 2012, only one year after YAPC. And for YAPC 2012 there
was a rather large argument about whether to have a CoC at all (even
though 2011 had one). There have been incidents at YAPCs in the past of
varying severity.

The "dongle" incident at PyCon only became a big deal because it went
public. If it had been handled solely using the conference's CoC, it would
have been minor. I'm sure this exact sort of minor incident has happened
at YAPC, and will happen again.

Also keep in mind that PyCon is a _lot_ bigger than YAPC, with over 2,500
attendees!

-dave

http://VegGuide.org               http://blog.urth.org
Your guide to all that's veg      House Absolute(ly Pointless)