[yapc] Move over PRS: Interactive classrooms with Perl

YAPC::NA Director admin at yapcna.org
Fri Mar 30 01:00:02 PDT 2012

A. Sinan Unur will give a talk at YAPC::NA_2012 described as:Â
     Personal response systems (PRS) are small, dedicated pieces of
     hardware with a bunch of buttons on them. They transmit key presses
     to a dedicated receiver.
     PRS are used in large classrooms to track and measure student
     attendance and participation, and to record responses to questions
     interspersed in a lecture. The software that comes with these systems
     is usually closed source, not-extensible, and generally lame.
     Twilio provides a service that will contact a web application at a
     designated URL in response to text messages. Cell phones with
     messaging are almost ubiquitous on college campuses these days. Using
     mobile phones students already have along with open source software
     would alleviate a lot of the headaches teachers go through when
     implementing proprietary solutions.
     I am putting together such a system using the Perl web application
     framework Dancer. The system will include a web interface for the
     lecturer to manage questions, visualize responses etc, and I hope it
     will demonstrate the superiority of such a system to a combination of
     clunky proprietary hardware and software.
[From the YAPC::NA_Blog.]