[yapc] I need your help with Perl and the Internet of Things at YAPC::NA

Robert Blackwell robert at robertblackwell.com
Thu Jan 12 18:33:50 PST 2012

Physical Computing, Internet of Things it does not really matter what you call it. We are talking about controlling things. Maybe you just want a text message when your doorbell rings or maybe you want to print in 3D straight from Perl using a Makerbot. Maybe you just want more control over your Christmas lights, CheerLights. Maybe there are dirty words you want your TV to just mute.
Arduino, PWM, servo motors, stepper motors, wii controllers, the list goes on and on. Have you ever wondered what it all means and how to connect them all?

Many of you know I am working on getting the Perl community interested in the Internet of Things and in getting CPAN stuffed full of Internet of Things code. To do that I need more people interested and enable to hack in the Internet of Things space.

I know we can make Perl a choice language for scripting the physical world together.

What do you want to learn?
What can I facilitate?
What projects do you need help with?
Would you pay for a class to learn about something non Perl like how to use an Arduino?
What do you want to learn?
What do you need?

There is a lot of non Perl to learn in order to do things. But just like there is Baby Perl there is Baby Internet of Things. You can really do interesting things with out having an EE degree.

Don't fear the connected future help build it.