[yapc] YAPC::NA SOLD OUT!!!

JT Smith admin at yapcna.org
Mon Apr 30 10:37:10 PDT 2012

I saw his comment on that, and we do have a solution for that to some extent; more on that in a few weeks. But you can't put the banquet in two rooms. It's not just the talks, it's everything. The entire venue space and all the activities have been planned around 400 people. It's better to limit the numbers you can support and ensure that those that spent all the money to come have a good time, than to invite more than you can reasonably handle ensuring that many will be pissed about money spent and wasted.  The cost of the ticket to YAPC after all is by far the smallest cost for most YAPC attendees.

If you really don't want to come to YAPC because you think we're doing a bad job, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm certainly willing to take you off the speaking schedule if you decide you don't want to come because you don't think it's going to be fun. I certainly wouldn't want you to feel obligated to come.

I'm sure lots of people are pissed off because we're changing things. We got rid of the auction in favor of the raffle. We've sold out of everything. We're doing a game night. We killed some of the traditional "big" talks in favor of having more 20 minute talks. We're promoting the hell out of the conference to the point that some have called us spammers. Some have raised concerns that we have "too many" sponsors. That's ok. If we go down in a blaze of glory because everything we've done fails, so be it. Change is tough. I don't think the changes are we've made are so sweeping that it will be a bad conference, but I am willing to risk it because I think its time for YAPC to evolve.  Perl has evolved dramatically in the past few years, but YAPC has largely remained the same. I'm happy to take full responsibility for it. =)

JT Smith
Director, YAPC::NA 2012
http://www.yapcna.org

PS