[yapc] YAPC::NA SOLD OUT!!!

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcatsystems.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 09:47:54 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:38:59AM -0500, JT Smith wrote:
> I'm not sure if you're just trying to pick a fight or not. I'm certainly not trying to say that you ran an inferior conference. All I'm saying is that we have sold out the space that we have to sell out.

And you said:

"Because the university won't allow standing room. They're very strict on fire
codes and such. I've sold 20 more tickets than I was supposed to sell just to
account for the fact that some people won't actually be in the room, so if
everybody shows up we will actually already have standing room only seats."

However, as Rob said:

"For the last session of lightning talks at YAPC Columbus, we didn't
have a room able to hold everyone. So, we simulcast to a second room
with monitors."

He isn't trying to pick a fight. He's trying to tell you that Columbus found
a workaround for this problem that didn't require standing room. And I think
perhaps implying that you could've asked him and didn't, which is perhaps a
little passive aggressive but should also be taken as an offer to ask him as
many questions as you'd like in order to figure out a way to deal with this
that doesn't involve preventing people coming to YAPC.

Because that's really not in the spirit of the perl *community* conference
that I was hoping to attend this year, and while it's your choice how you
run it, I'm hearing an increasing level of murmuring in the areas of the
community that I keep an eye on suggesting that more and more, this
conference doesn't seem to be shaping up to be the conference other people
were hoping to attend either.

I do very much take your point about not judging in advance, but I'd be
remiss not to express these worries now, especially given if I don't then
I can hardly complain later if they don't get addressed :)

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst