[yapc] Mark Keating's pending process-fork

Darren Duncan darren at darrenduncan.net
Fri Jun 4 19:45:12 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Rob Kinyon <rob.kinyon at gmail.com> wrote:
>     As many of you may know, Mark Keating (aka, mdk - the sane half of
>     mst) will not be attending YAPC::NA::2010 this year due to the
>     impending birth of his first child.
>
>     Mark has been extremely active in helping revitalize Perl 5 from the
>     depths of its fourth (fifth? sixth??) "Perl is DEAD" episode. As such,
>     I would love to send mst back to Lancaster with a suitcase full of
>     neat little things for Leigh (Mark's wife) to go gaga over.

Congratulations to Mark and I wish your expanded family well.

Heath Bair wrote:
 > Do they know if it is a Boy or a Girl?

Why does it matter?  The child doesn't deserve to be treated any differently
based on the answer.  Any gifts should be things that both boys and girls can
use.  Let children make their own choices as to what they like, rather than
trying to pre-condition them into some restricted mold where their sex is a
determinant of what they are given the opportunity to have or do in their early
formative years.  The only time that sex should matter is for corresponding
medical issues, and not for any other aspect of their lives.  Treating them the
same is the nicest thing that one can do.

-- Darren Duncan