[yapc] Anyone interested in crashing CPOSC in October?

Jon Miner miner at doit.wisc.edu
Thu Jul 8 14:39:59 PDT 2010

On 7/8/10 2:29 AM, Gabor Szabo wrote:
> Then Jon commented:
> "So, how much is he being paid to maintain the site,
> and of that pay, how much of his time is being paid
> to make sure the site is perfectly maintained and up to date?"
>
> Now that looked very aggressive to me. Even if my message was
> taken as sarcastic, I don't understand what brought the frustration
> of Jon to that level. I felt like someone is punching my face and
> shouting at me "YOU ARE AGGRESSIVE!".[1]
> Others might have perceived his reaction as totally in place,
> and we are now ok with Jon, I am just saying for our cross culture
> educational purpose.

Yup, I sent that and then realized that the whole thing was spiraling
out of control..  :)

> I wonder if this was just a general comment or was that meant to
> also relate to the recent grant proposal I submitted? Does that
> mean that if the grant is approved I effectively won't be able
> to talk to PM leaders and people will see me as trying to
> boss around? (Hopefully that's in English).

No, I didn't mean it like that, yet another casualty of over-generalization.

It's something I like to use on myself when I find myself getting worked
up about a volunteer who is falling behind, in an attempt to not lose
track of the fact that people have lives outside of whatever volunteer
work I'm wanting them to do, since usually family and work have to come
before the volunteering.  If I were a paying customer, I could have
higher expectations (that isn't to say that we don't usually get
excellent service from volunteers and horrible service from paid
consultants, just that my expectations need to be adjusted.)

In my other life, I'm the technical director (unpaid) of a theatre that
is collectively owned by a bunch of theatre companies, so I get stuck
both in the frustrated position of trying to rely on unpaid volunteers
specing and doing repair work, and as the unpaid volunteer that the
boards are demanding get extensive work done.  (We have one overworked
actual employee in the whole place, it's all she can do to make sure
that the bills get paid and that the doors open..)

jon

--
.Jonathan J. Miner------------------Division of Information Technology.
|miner at doit.wisc.edu                 University Of Wisconsin - Madison|