[yapc] Talk submissions are closed

Matt S Trout mst at shadowcatsystems.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 11:58:29 PDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:50:02AM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> You're mistaken on this.  I have data, and quite a bit of it, as you
> know.
>
> I've watched people try to "condense" longer talks into lightning
> talks, and not one time EVER has a good thing come out of it.  Not
> once have I ever seen the person making this mistake do a lightning
> talk that was better later, nor, for that matter, a longer
> presentation later.  The humiliation is inevitable, and that's an
> incredibly potent de-motivator, both for the potential speaker and for
> the audience.

But what we're aiming for here is for people who would've written a real
talk to write a lightning talk instead. If they had the real talk already
written, presumably they'd've submitted it.

I think basically you've taken an assumption that you read into Rob's original
mail that wasn't there and are now defending your argument against the
non-existent bad event to the death.

It's ok, David. It's all in your head.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/

Email me now on mst (at) shadowcat.co.uk and let's chat about how our Catalyst