[yapc] yapc Digest, Vol 34, Issue 11

Gabor Szabo szabgab at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 01:16:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Perrin Harkins <perrin at elem.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Walt Mankowski <waltman at pobox.com> wrote:
>>> Just verifying that I understand as it's almost too good to be true!
>>
>> Yeah, that's pretty much the point of YAPC. :)
>
> Agreed, and the ability of the organizers to do this gets more
> impressive every year.  But that does make me think: everything in the
> world is going up in price except YAPC.  Maybe the $100 price is
> getting to be a bit arbitrary at this point.  I know I wouldn't mind
> if the price went up a few dollars in order to ensure the best
> possible conference or take some pressure off the organizers.  I
> wouldn't even mind if it just went up 4% or so every year to keep up
> with inflation on the price of coffee and air conditioning.

While I am not familiar with the exact financial issues of YAPC::NA or
YAPC::EU, it seems they have all had profit.
At least in the recent 2-3 years.

IMHO the greatest burden on the organizers is not the lack of money
but the time one needs to spend and the lack of helping hands.

For example here is a page where people can sign up to volunteer to
some tasks:
http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2008/wiki?node=Volunteers

A lot of the expenses are covered by sponsors - so getting sponsors is a
great way to help but I think it is mostly relevant for next year.
http://conferences.mongueurs.net/yn2008/sponsorship.html

Another large chunk is received during the auction at the end of the conference.
At least in YAPC::EU as I can see there is no auction on YAPC::NA :-(

regards
   Gabor
--
Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/blog.html