[yapc] A word of caution

Elias Lutfallah eli at mortgagefolder.com
Thu Jun 15 12:44:37 PDT 2006

Actually, that all sounds about right.
Honestly, unless you know the area fairly well or have someone in your
group that does, stick with the cafeteria for lunch. Travel in groups.
North is safer than south.

This seems to be about the norm for Chicago universities. U of Chicago is
surrounded by bad areas (last time I was there) as is UIC. I guess those
areas are cheaper for the schools to acquire.

> Hi
>
> I have been researching the immediate area of IIT for restaurants,
> groceries
> and such.  I have recently talked with two men, one who currently lives in
> the
> area and another one who grew up there.  Both of them have STRONGLY
> CAUTIONED
> me about wandering around the area, particularly to the south and east.
> They
> say doing so presents a serious risk of being assaulted.
>
> I asked them about traveling the 'L' in the evening, for example landing
> at midway at 7:30pm and taking the 'L' to IIT.  They said that the ride
> from
> midway to down town should be okay, but they both expressed concern about
> the ride from down town to IIT at that evening time.  They said things
> like
> ...well there should be plenty of police on the 'L' ...  They say things
> have
> improved in the last 10 years ... but ...
>
> They seemed comfortable with riding the 'L'  around noon.
>
>     (So I decided to arrange my plane to arrive earlier in the day
>     (and to stay on IIT rather than ride back and forth to a hotel
>

> Perhaps the information I have received is overly pessimistic.
>

> Perhaps some one with first hand experience both in the IIT area
> as well away from that area can provide some insights?  Keeping
> in mind that some of us has always lived in pretty gentle communities.
> Help me be prudent and avoid being alarmest.
>

> Regards,
> Todd Olson
> Cornell University

Elias Lutfallah