[yapc] More on Power Plugs (and adaptors)

Walt Mankowski waltman at pobox.com
Thu Jun 23 09:53:57 PDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:47:19PM -0400, Uri Guttman wrote:
> when i went to yapc::paris i was able to use my laptop with the
> appropriate plug adapter as it has the standard universal voltage power
> brick. but my wife's hairdryer needed a transformer type which i got in
> the states. we plugged in the (stupid) round prongs and it worked but it
> had no grip on the prongs (which are very inflixible :( ) so it fell out
> of the socket (which was high on the wall) and it snapped off a prong of
> the transformer thereby transforming it into a heavy lump of
> uselessness.  i can't see anyway to repair such a broken prong as it was
> molded into the body with a metal core. NA plugs have simpler flexible
> blades which can bend and also get tightly gripped in the socket. so we
> had to traipse all over paris onw afternoon trying to find a voltage
> transformer. took a couple of wild goose trips (famous big department
> store didn't have them but some other large store did) but we replaced
> it and paid a lot more too.

At some point did you consider just buying a cheap 240V hairdryer?  Or
just letting her hair dry in what hear was a miserable heat wave?

Just wondering, that's all.... :)

Also many hotels in Europe that cater to North American travelers have
a 120V plug in their bathrooms just for situations like this.  OTOH, I
don't think I've ever seen a European plug in an American hotel
bathroom.  (Or maybe I just don't stay at those hotels in the
states...)

Walt