[yapc] Re: Somebody Vs. Somebody Else

Adam Turoff ziggy at panix.com
Mon Jun 7 11:28:15 CDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:52:57AM -0400, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> The Harry Potter thing is my #1 "what the fuck?" moment for YAPC.

The Harry Potter thing is the continuation of a long standing tradition
at YAPC::NA - movie night.

It started back in Pittsburgh, when a bunch of us went to the Beehive
(because there was precious little else to do) and watched the Matrix.
And proceeded to rip it to tiny little shreds.

Last year, Kevin / Jeff arranged to rent out one screen at the local
Muvico to watch The Matrix Regurgitated, and proceeded to rip it into
tiny little shreds.  Some of my favorite moments:

	Trinity: I have a secret to tell you, Neo...
	Perl Monger Greek Chorus: YOU CAN'T ACT!

	The Architect: blah blah blah
	Neo: You're Wrong!  That can't be!
	The Architect: Ah, yes.  Contradiction is the most predictable of
	               all human responses.
	Piers Cawley: No, it isn't!

	The Architect: blah blah blah blah I've seen it all before blah
	Peanut from the Gallery: He talks just like Tom Christiansen writes.

All things considered, getting 100 Perl geeks together in a theater to
relive the glory of MST3K isn't the most irrational thing to do at YAPC.
That would be watching Wimbledon.

The only pity of it all is that _The Day After Tomorrow_ probably won't be
playing by the end of the month.  That would be a great movie for MST3K,
but only with free tickets.

Z.