[Yapc-na-organizers] Fwd: Metro Info for Conference attendees

Jeremy Fluhmann fluhmann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:57:10 PDT 2007

On 3/21/07, Will Willis <will.willis at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the status on METRO (http://ridemetro.org/), Houston's transit
> (bus and rail) system.
>
> * We will be getting system maps and local bus schedules for attendees

Great!

* Weekly bus passes are available for $9, providing unlimited rides on
> all local routes and the Rail for 7 days from date of first use.
>
> I'm having these items shipped to my office and I'll be responsible
> for getting them to the pre-conference bag-stuffing party =) Assuming
> we get bags at registration like last year...

I assumed we would go for the bags again.  I'll have to look at my bag
again, but I believe LiveText or someone must have sponsored the bags
(someone's logo was on the bag).  We can bulk price some bags in the event
that someone doesn't sponsor for it.  Does anyone have any creative ideas
for bag alternatives?

Could we add the $9 bus pass an option when registering? UH isn't
> exactly within walking distance from the rest of the city -  I imagine
> anyone wanting to do any sight seeing would want one. Thoughts?

I know it was mentioned in the past about possibly providing the passes
'free of charge' to registrants if the price was low enough.  Would there be
a discount if we bought 400+ passes?  If not, I prefer to go the route of
letting each registrant purchase their own pass.  I'm sure once the ACT
software gets used more (I'm hoping for some hackathon action on it ;-), it
will provide the ability to more easily add things to registration.  As it
is now, it's a single drop down.  If we include a $20 meal card option, we
have 24 prices that will be in the dropdown (12 for Early bird, 12 for
regular pricing).  Double the total each time we add an item. :-(  I'm
hoping future registrations are allowed the ability to add specific items to
their registration separately.

I think we should also still look into the charter/shuttle option we've
talked about previously.  This would get people to downtown (where most of
the action is ;-) and from there they can use the METRORail system (cheaper
pass?).