[Yapc-na-organizers] ideas for housing payments

Jim Brandt cbrandt at buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 20 07:30:54 PST 2007

Jeremy,

The general advice I would offer is keep it simple. Don't make your life
a misery trying to accommodate a bunch of confusing combinations. Think
about other big conferences you may have attended and use that as your
guideline. OSCON, for example, does the earlybird thing and a few
options with tutorials, but they keep it simple with food.

I think the general plan you outlined below is very sensible for
registration/housing. For Buffalo we had to pay in one lump sum as well,
so we collected money and gave UB a single check for the housing. We had
one or two stay long, and I dealt with those individually as exceptions
rather than trying to offer it as an option for everyone.

For food, I agree with Josh. Go with the card and keep it simple. YAPC
attendees are a resourceful bunch and will sort things out for
themselves given reasonable options.

Also agree with Josh not to target a shopping cart for this round. Keep
the price combinations somewhat simple so you don't need the full
shopping card functionality.

Hope this helps. Feel free to throw a proposed 'final' pricing structure
up on the wiki and poll us again. Then we can comment one more time
before you go live. Also, glad to hear you're working on this stuff now.
Seems to me the timing is just about right to be working out these details.

Jim